Aurora East Unified School District 131 School Board met June 13
Aurora East Unified School District 131 School Board met June 13.
Here is the minutes as provided by the board:
Mr. Merle Herren, 723 Bangs Street, Aurora, District Resident/Employee. Mr. Herren stated it will be a short summer break and is concerned that most if not all of the buildings lead custodians are saying they do not have summer cleaning supplies yet. Mr. Herren is asking the Committee to allow Mr. Tijerina and Mr. Villagomez to purchase emergency cleaning supplies (floor stripper and floor wax) to get into the buildings so the buildings can get cleaned. Staff is currently trading supplies from building to building to get supplies. Mr. Herren also spoke regarding the purchasing of new trucks. He stated he would rather see the money go into supplies so staff can do their job and do it well, as opposed to putting it into vehicles. Mr. Herren thanked the Committee.
Handrails for Atrium Walkway
Mr. Tijerina spoke regarding the installation of a handrail along the ramp in the atrium. He explained there are 2 options; (1) to core into floor (2) mount directly into panel. The pricing for mounting directly into panel is approximately 50% less than to core into floor. If mounted into the panel, the panel would be adhered to block wall making it difficult to make repairs and would void manufacture warranty. Mr. Tijerina stated the ramp meets required code and does not require to be ADA. As long as the handrail/ramp is not required to be ADA compliant, IDEA could fund. The Committee agreed to the option to core into floor in the amount of $12,240.00 and Mr. Tijerina will make contact with Mr. Jeremy Bell regarding IDEA funds.
Waldo Historical Items
Mr. Tijerina discussed with the Committee the display case on the 2nd floor at Waldo. The display case was crafted by Waldo students when it was the district high school. He stated questions have come up whether it suits its place due to the construction that is taking place. If moved, there is really no place in Waldo to relocate it. He also informed the Committee there has been an issue in the past with fire inspections and the display case blocking a classroom egress and the case does not have safety glass. He stated there was talk regarding can it be donated to the historical society or used in another location.
Mr. Darby questioned who would be assigned the task of reassigning the display case. Ms. Reyes Childress added she would be concerned relocating to another location with children due to the display case not having safety glass.
Mr. Simpson informed the Committee the items inside the display case are part of Waldo history. There are old photos, books, band uniforms and wooden student desks.
Discussion ensued regarding relocation of the display case to the balcony landing at the Main Entrance of Waldo or the possibility of sending it back to EAHS. Mr. Simpson and Mr. Tijerina will look into the area at Waldo landing. Mr. Schubert stated that the case is unique to Waldo and efforts to keep it at the school would be optimal.
Committee granted approval to contact Aurora Historical Society to determine if they are interested, if relocation is not possible at another district location.
The furniture in the Waldo library was discussed and it was determined there is no use at Waldo for the furniture. Mr. Tijerina will reach out to other district locations to determine use elsewhere.
Waldo Summer Work Update
Mr. Tijerina reported the move out process at Waldo went well and construction has started. He spoke regarding 5 classrooms (Rms. 101, 102, 105, 201 and 202) that were previously used as science rooms and are now being used as academic rooms. There is existing casework in these rooms and removal of the casework is not part of the summer work. Cordogan Clark has looked into budget numbers for the removal of the casework and possible abatement. Mr. Welter reported the approximate cost is $78,000.00. Mr. Welter suggested with the scope of work and possible abatement, it may be more feasible to put off until next summer. Ms. Reyes Childress informed the Committee this was an item that was identified in the February meeting when the walk took place.
Ms. Johnson felt if the District would go out for bid now, it would make the July 2nd Board Meeting for approval. Mr. Welter stated his concern was it may be complicated with multiple bids from contractors and abatement. There are already multiple contractors working on the overall project.
Mr. Tijerina spoke regarding the maintenance staff helping with the demolition process of the teacher demonstration stations. Mr. Welter stated there is plaster patching and flooring scheduled to take place in these rooms. Discussion ensued regarding the removal of the stations and the removal of the flooring under and the process of patching to apply new flooring.
Mr. Simpson spoke regarding Rms. 101 and 102 on the Downer Side of the building. He stated the City of Aurora does pest control bug bombs thru the sewer lines and as a result a lot of cockroaches are coming into the rooms from the lines. The old sewer and water lines would need to be capped off as part of the renovation.
Ms. Johnson inquired how much is in contingency funds. Mr. Welter reported there is approximately $300,000 in contingency, but with the age of the building, it is too early to tell what unexpected additional costs may occur.
Ms. Reyes –Childress informed the committee that this scope of work was discussed back in February when the BG committee held its meeting at Waldo. Mr. Schubert questioned why the work was not included in the scope of work for Waldo this summer. Mr. Welter stated they were not aware that the rooms were part of the scope
Mr. Darby suggested get a budget number for asbestos, with doing demo in-house, and take asbestos abatement to July 2nd meeting for approval.
EHS Parking Lot
Discussion ensued regarding the EHS parking lot as a continuation from the June 4th meeting. Mr. Tijerina and Mr. Perez requested the City of Aurora engineers come to access the sidewalk and slope. Mr. Tijerina reported the sidewalk and slope are within guidelines. Ms. Johnson stated it may be compliant, but it is not practical. Mr. Schubert spoke regarding the modifications that were made to the sidewalk and the additional costs that would be incurred that were not supported by the Committee. The Committee agreed the expectation was to be at the same grade as Tomcat Lane
Ms. Johnson referred to a January 3rd email from an individual questioning the location. Mr. Darby requested to view the email. Ms. Johnson stated she felt there would be problems with backing out. Mr. Darby suggested making the parking lot a “back in” only. Discussion took place regarding the installation of a stop sign at Tomcat Lane.
Discussion took place regarding using the area for parking of the driver’s ed vehicles, mini buses or possible student area. Surveillance cameras (3) have been installed and would be monitoring the area for vandalism. Ms. Reyes Childress will communicate with Ms. Kosak to get her input in regards to use of the area. Ms. Reyes Childress will communicate via email with the results.
Ms. Reyes asked the Committee as to the direction that should be taken; alternative uses, not to be parking area, comfort level of mini bus parking and driver’s ed vehilces.
It was decided to hold off on the sidewalk until there is better input from administration.
Custodial Supply Bid
Ms. Shields discussed the paper products portion of the Custodial Supply Bid with the Committee. She informed the Committee Unique Products bid in the amount of $66,260.00 is inaccurate due to their error. The error was in the Toilet Paper portion of the bid in the amount of $17,333.33. Ms. Shields contacted Unique Projects regarding the error and they requested to be let out of the contract. She also stated it is a binding contract that can legally be enforced. Ms. Shield explained she had spoken to the attorney regarding the situation and the attorney stated the language would default to the per case price and the district would probably loose.
Mr. Schubert inquired if there were any product differentiation between the two vendors bid for the product. Ms. Shield’s stated there was not and the same dispensers could be utilized.
The next lowest bidder for the toilet paper is Valdes in the amount of $24,172.80 with a total bid amount of $70,172.80.
The Committee agreed and a recommendation to reject the Paper Product Bid for Unique Products in the amount of $66,260.00 and award Valdes in the amount of $70,172.80 will go to the June 18th Board for approval.
Ms. Johnson inquired what the problem was with all the other cleaning supplies. Mr. Tijerina reported vendors have been contacted and cleaning supplies are presently in the process of being ordered. Orders will be placed online and training will take place. Supplies should arrive in the next couple weeks. There is inventory on hand that is currently being utilized. Mr. Tijerina stated if locations are out of supplies, a call should be placed to Supervisor/ Hill Avenue. Mr. Tijerina will follow up with firepersons/engineers to assure they have sufficient supplies.
Ms. Shields presented the FY19 Budget and reported it has been reduced 23% from the previous year. She explained it was broken down into 2 sections, Operations and Building Improvements. The itemization/breakdown under the account will allow better tracking with coding of purchase orders.
Salaries – included
Professional Development – training for staff with the possibility of some services for free through HUB. Discussion ensued regarding training for staff and what training services HUB can provide. Mr. Schubert asked if HUB had been contacted prior to removal of any professional development money from budget to ensure they can provide necessary trainings. Ms. Shields stated that training dollars can be put back into budget if we find out HUB is unable to provide a particular training.
Professional Services – Better itemized for coding and in line with current year. Mostly inspections.
Repairs and Maintenance - Drastic reduction from previous year. Bardwell asphalt was discussed regarding mill and overlay. There is a projected budget amount of $60,000 (1.75 sq. ft.) for mill and overlay. Discussion took place regarding the maintenance staff removing existing playground pieces. The old playground could be removed, repaved and replacement of playground at new location. Ms. Johnson inquired if there was a way to get a green area along with the new playground. The green area option for the playground will be revisited with Dr. Garza. It was also discussed to have the existing playground removed and site prepared prior to the start of the school year. Mr. Tijerina will look at getting some budget numbers.
Simmons water main break was discussed. To patch the area where the water main break occurred is approximately $10,000. The current condition of the parking lot and circle drive is poor and is need of mill and overlay. Ms. Reyes Childress inquired regarding bidding both projects together to get a better price. Mr. Schubert inquired if the other locations parking lots were assessed and if these are the priority. Mr. Tijerina stated they were, and most were in need of crack fill and sealcoat. These would also need to be taken out to bid. Mr. Darby spoke regarding the requirement for ADA ramps in conjunction with the projects. The budget will need to be increased if Bardwell and Simmons projects take place in order to leave funding for other location repairs.
Mr. Schubert questioned if there was anything in the 3-year re-inspection that was identified as needing to be addressed. Mr. Tijerina will go back to confirm no abatement is needed at the present time. Mr. Tijerina and Mr. Vargas will be trained on the 6 month process by Carnow Conibear. Mr. Tijerina stated the 6-month surveillance will be conducted in July.
Ms. Reyes Childress pointed out there are no budget dollars set for playgrounds. Ms. Schimitt has been doing a great job getting grants to fund playgrounds. The next playgrounds on the list to be addressed are Hermes and Gates. Rollins and Krug are also in need and are shared with the community. Mr. Tijerina stated it is a daily responsibility of the fireperson/engineer to check for safety concerns and vandalism. The Committee would like to see professional safety assessments of playgrounds. Mr. Tijerina has looked into quoted for assessments and will bring back to the next meeting.
Waste Removal and Pest Control – Both are bid items
Facility and Equipment Rental – ASC and Extension are leased. There are dollars budgeted for equipment rental for in-house projects. Ms. Shields pointed out the Early Childhood lease is paid for with grant funds.
Vehicle Maintenance – Over the last year, in-house maintenance has been performed in-house on various equipment and vehicles giving a cost savings.
Supplies and Materials – Over budget for the past year.
Natural Gas – A savings will take place over the next 3 years.
Electricity – Hoping to bid next year. It was clarified that the LED lighting initiative is not included in the $9.4M building work numbers.
Software – Time clock feature is working well with B&G staff. Mr. Darby inquired if there is room to add more staff. Per diem, summer employees, lunch staff and crossing guards have been added. Discussion took place regarding the support and secretarial staff with use of the time clock and the conflicts.
Capitalized Equipment – Requests for blinds and shades are included. Various requests also come from Principals. Replacement of 4 vehicles on schedule and it was stated that there will also be fire alarm panel work/replacement.
Mr. Schubert asked about the budget for district security needs. Ms. Shield’s stated that this budget would be presented at the next Finance meeting. Mr. Schubert also asked if those items identified in the KROE annual and decennial inspections and their respective corrective action have been prioritized and are reflected in the budget. Mr. Tijerina stated that it is their plan to go through each of those items. Ms. Shield’s assured the committee that there is cushion and flexibility in the budget.
Ms. Shields stated there is room for movement within the budget. Ms. Shields will take the Committee input and make suggested changes and work into overall budget.
SSC Evaluation Report
Discussion took place regarding the SSC Evaluation Report that was submitted by Cordogan Clark at the June 4th meeting.
Mr. Tijerina stated over the winter months, Carnow Conibear conducted air quality testing in occupied areas at the SSC due to concerns. The report pointed out stained ceiling tiles and temperature issues. In response to the SSC Building Evaluation Report, Mr. Tijerina has contacted Carnow Conibear to come back and do assessing in unoccupied areas as well some other areas as early as the present week. It was reported the last assessment was conducted in 2015.
Ms. Johnson would like to move ahead with SSC relocation process and not invest a lot of money into the SSC present location. She feels there is no property in Aurora that would be cheaper and the renovation at the CSC location is the best option.
Mr. Schubert questioned the mold growth and standing water in the basement along with ceiling water leaks as was reported in the SSC Building Evaluation Report. Mr. Tijerina informed the Committee roof leaks during the winter have been taken care of and have been monitoring the area. Mr. Schubert stated standing water is not acceptable and interim measures to remediate are necessary. Mr. Welter stated there are areas that need to be tuck pointed and cracks in foundation that are causing the water problem. Mr. Tijerina will assess the problem again when rain occurs to determine what can be done to get water removed from basement. The Committee would like to assure that B&G is assessing the report to determine what steps can be taken to correct the problems and if possible, at reduced costs.
Mr. Schubert referred to a life safety item on the report – the ceiling in the back area boiler room has plaster that has detached from the structure. Mr. Welter reported that this is not a structural issue however, over the years with the roof leaking, the plaster on the ceiling is falling off and feels the falling plaster should be addressed due to maintenance staff possibly having to work in the area. Mr. Tijerina will conduct follow-up.
Ms. Johnson inquired as to the timeline for the opening of a new facility. Mr. Welter replied if construction started in Spring 2019, the facility would have a mid-year 2019 completion date. Ms. Johnson would like to keep on the agenda as an on-going topic and move to the Board for discussion on June 18 meeting.
Discussion ensued on dollar amounts presented for the proposal. Mr. Schubert and Mr. Darby requested more detail on the numbers presented. Ms. Johnson stated that the proposed $6M can fit into the budget. Mr. Welter feels confident in the numbers presented as they are typical square foot numbers. Cordogan will provide additional budget detail.
Mr. Schubert inquired about communication with staff. Ms. Reyes- Childress stated that Ms. Kogut was not immediately available, but there has been communication with Mr. Bell and that is was expressed that this is just in the discussion phase and information is being gathered.
Ms. Reyes Childress has shared drawings with Dr. Norrell. An update of department staff needs to take place to determine spaces needed and information sent to Cordogan Clark to allow for better estimates.
B&G Staffing Update
Mr. Tijerina gave a brief summary on Mr. Benjamin Hettel, Construction Manager. He will be approved on June 18th by the Board. Mr. Hettel will be working with Cordogan Clark staff on summer projects. Mr. Villagomez stated he received good feedback on his references.
Mr. Tijerina reported work tickets are down from the last time reported to Committee. He reported meetings have taken place with the maintenance staff. Work tickets that are old have been addressed and overall the team in doing a better job. There are more tickets being assigned and there is the possibility of completing as a team by location. The team will work with the Construction Manager, once on board, with priority on safety items and putting together a list of materials needed.
Mr. Schubert mentioned he had been a volunteer on a school playground and there was a broken off piece of playground equipment that he immediately reported to the building firepersons and BG leadership that upon further inquiry had apparently been in the work order system for quite some time to be corrected. Safety issues need to be appropriately prioritized in the cue and addressed in a timely manner.
Ms. Reyes Childress spoke regarding the Bardwell playground incidents. Ms. Reyes Childress did not find work tickets for repairs, however did find emails from Dr. Garza to B&G Directors requesting repairs over the years.
Mr. Schubert would like School Dude to be added to next month agenda. This will give the Committee a better idea of how the system operates and various reports can be generated.
Grounds Team Job Description
Mr. Tijerina reported the grounds team consists of 3 teams of 3 individuals on each team. The teams are each responsible for approximately 8 locations. Grounds are in good shape and some focus will be spent on tree trimming and cleaning mulch beds. Mr. Tijerina spoke to the Committee regarding starting a small grounds crew of full time staff. Mr. Schubert noted at the last meeting a request was made to look into what West Aurora is doing for grounds. Mr. Tijerina stated he has reached out to Jeff Schiller at West Aurora but has not yet received a call back. Mr. Tijerina stated he had checked West Aurora website and it looks like the lawn maintenance is bid out.
Mr. Schubert inquired if the grounds proposal would include snow removal. The proposal does include snow removal. The current district union contract states maintenance mechanics are responsible for snow removal.
Mr. Villagomez stated previously the request was for 7 workers and now is proposing to start with a small full time group of possible 3 grounds workers. The workers can work all year long filling in for absent custodians when there is no landscaping and work with maintenance on snow removal. During the summer additional summer grounds workers would be brought in to assist with lawn maintenance.
Mr. Darby inquired if spraying for weeds had taken place. Mr. Tijerina responded a spraying had taken place in the tree rings and mulch beds, but did not spray the grass areas.
The Committee asked to get a cost and bring back for approval.
Mr. Tijerina referred to the inventory list in packet. He spoke regarding the condition of several vehicles in the fleet. He would like to replace 2 vans and 2 trucks. The shed at Hill Ave. has been cleaned to house vehicles. A vehicle inspection list has been created and utilized for preventative maintenance. All trucks and vans have been labeled with the newest EA logo and numbered. Mr. Schubert inquired as to the mileage on the vehicles and correlated to a preventive maintenance schedule. Mr. Tijerina stated the mileage is included on the vehicle inspection report used for preventative maintenance.
Mr. Tijerina referred to the spreadsheet summary of findings. The spreadsheet shows the locations with elevated levels and Carnow Conibear recommendations to retest during summer. A determination will need to be made if follow up testing will be a long term or short term test. Mr. Tijerina will communicate with Carnow Conibear to get an answer. Mr. Schubert also would like to assure the IEMA recommendations/guidelines are followed. Mr. Tijerina will bring back to the Committee the findings. Report results need to be submitted to the State Board of Education. Mr. Tom Jackson will also be informed as to what the next step(s) will be for district communications.
B&G Committee, Vision, Mission and Role
Mr. Tijerina has discussed with staff in labor management meetings. He will get input firepersons/engineers with feedback. Mr. Tijerina will bring back to July 2nd meeting.
Mr. Tijerina stated he received an email from Mr. Vargas that was from individual at Janco requesting the return of dispensers. Committee agreed Janco could pick up dispensers.
Mr. Schubert would like Mr. Tijerina to present the inspection report for EHS bleachers
Mr. Schubert addressed the amount of documents on the server. He stated when he came into the meeting today, there were almost double the amount from what was originally posted. He shared it makes it difficult to review for discussion. Documents should be uploaded only at the time of the agenda posting.
Meeting adjourned 7:20pm